2019 season - preseason

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

2019 season - preseason

Postby walliver on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 pm

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Getting primed and ready for Round 4 with these CHAMPS. Wouldn’t want to go to battle with anybody else!! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LockItDown?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LockItDown</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ConquerAndPrevail?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ConquerAndPrevail</a> <a href="https://t.co/w56D6JhSDz">pic.twitter.com/w56D6JhSDz</a></p>&mdash; Rob Greene (@CoachRGreene) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachRGreene/status/984909682337775618?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 13, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm ready for September.

If the embed doesn't work, here is the link.
https://twitter.com/CoachRGreene/status ... 2337775618
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Re: 2019 season - preseason

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon May 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus28 on Thu May 31, 2018 7:50 am

I am not sure any preseason rankings are officially out yet but I recall seeing something on SM that had us #16 (and Sammy #12 as highest ranked SoCon team). Which is not surprising based on who we are bringing back, particularly on D. Frankly, I don’t care one or the other. It’s nice to be ranked but with our coaching transition, scheme changes/tweaks, and our very young OL, we have a lot to prove IMO.
Ruckus28
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Thu May 31, 2018 12:49 pm

I'd rather start 2018
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus28 on Thu May 31, 2018 5:48 pm

2:00 MST game time announced today for Wyoming.
Ruckus28
Junior Terrier

Postby WocoSix on Thu May 31, 2018 6:08 pm

We had quite a few SR's on last years roster. Which will leave some significant holes to fill. But I think the biggest hole to fill will be in the coaching office. Coaches Nash a 15 yr OL Coach at Wofford and Coach Riase whose DL have been one of the most impressive at the FCS level. I dont think we take a hit as much with the others especially on the defense because I think we upgraded with a proven Defensive mind in Coach Conklin. His fingerprints will be all over the defensive schemes and his protege Siefkes has been involved with some big time defensive programs. My major concern though is with the offensive line. Coach Lang and Nash were attached at the hip. Lang is the mastermind but Nash was the master of implementation and game time adjustments. Current Coach Johnson played in the system so I am sure he has a grasp of what Lang wants to plan, but the million dollar question is can he communicate and get the players to buy in like Nash.

As for the players there are some play makers and defensive stalwarts we will have a hard time replacing. Offensively, the biggest hurt will come with the Offensive Line. Roo, played sparingly last season but Demmel, Rouse, and Duffy will be hard to replace. Wofford redshirted six O-lineman and three R-Freshman OL contributed. I think Quashon Greenlee will probably be the only incoming lineman to avoid a redshirt, if he picks up the system and about 15lbs of muscle over the summer. Defensively I think our Linebackers will take a hit. Replacing names like Terrance Morris, Colton Clemons, and Daryl Vinning is going to be a struggle. If we can keep Datavius healthy, the supporting cast of Rountree, Jireh, and Hinton would be sufficient, but I feel the lack of proven depth at this position wil not be as good as the past 4 years. Also wouldn't surprise me if we moved a bigger safety type like Tillery, Alstatt, or Redwood in the box, or even go with an extra slot corner like Lemon or Watson which the Citadel started using with their DB #7 Kailik Williams.

Love Wofford football and still think we can be a top SoCon team, but Samford or Mercer may end up being the preseason favorites.

My Preseason Ranking
1 Samford (Devlin Hodges and bunch of returning playmakers on Offense)
2 Mercer (Kaelan Riley and Tee Mitchel are dangerous)
3 Wofford (Defense will be the key can we limit teams to under 24 pts, and do we have the offensive power to put points on the board. Stoddard and the QB situation is key)
4 Chatt (Probably most complete WR Corps next to Samford, plenty of college transfers)
5 Western Carolina (Tyrie Adams is a homerun QB but a depleted WR corps; Defense as well had some major losses at key positions)
6 Citadel(First game will be the indicator for me. hard to read this team)
7 Furman(QB situation in the air, plenty of young talent. Maybe a year away from truly contending)
8 ETSU (Too many moving parts and turmoil with in football program)
9 VMI (Are they committed to football)
Last edited by WocoSix on Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus28 on Thu May 31, 2018 9:40 pm

I don’t know how we will end up but I can assure you of one thing: Lang and Nash were NOT joined at the hip and of one mind re our offense. No love lost there I understand and looking back that friction was visible in our schemes and philosophies.
We will see for the first time (maybe ever) an offense that is solely Wade Lang’s creation. I expect less TO, more 2 back zone read stuff, higher tempo and more passing (unless we really need it and then look for FB in the A/B gap). No major changes (yet) but some definite tweaks and changes in tendencies.
Ruckus28
Junior Terrier

Postby WocoSix on Thu May 31, 2018 11:33 pm

Fifteen years is a long time for coaches to not be on the same sheet of music. They may differ in philosophy but they knew what to expect from each other. I agree that this will be Lang's creation to run but I think he had more control over the years than you are giving credit. From what I saw in the spring there were plenty of formations, shifts, and motioning by RB and TE/WR. Agreed as well the tempo seemed to be alot faster. Joe Newman and Miller Mosley will be a 2 headed monster. I just hope its not the musical QB thing we have seen over the last 4 years
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:16 am

For what it’s worth, there are three magazines out now that have made preseason predictions. They all seem to see it as a three team horse race for the title between Samford, Wofford, and Furman. Street and Smith has us third place behind Samford and Furman and ranked 21st overall (Samford is 12th and FU is 17th). Athlon has us second place behind Samford, with FU third, and ranked 17th overall (Samford is 12th and FU is not ranked). Lindy’s likes us the most...they have us winning the conference with Samford 2nd and FU 3rd, with us ranked 10th overall (Samford is 12th and FU 17th). Mercer, liked by some here, was picked to finish middle of the pack, anywhere from 4th to 7th in the conference depending on the magazine. ETSU and VMI were universal picks for 8th and 9th respectively. Chatty, WCU, and The Citadel were all pegged middle of the pack teams in differing orders by the magazines along with Mercer.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus28 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Just lost OLB coach Jon wheeler to St joes as HC. Nash hired him.
Ruckus28
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:29 pm

I think we'll finish top 5 of the socon (which isn't a bold prediction by any means).

I think if our offense can score a touchdown more per game, we'll be in good shape. We were a flawed socon champion last year.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:27 pm

"Flawed SoCon Champion" ... Are you saying we were not the best team in the SoCon, but won by happen stance? I would say the only game we pretty much got by on was probably WCU and Mercer. The rest we were just the better team
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:28 am

We were way too close to the margin of error. That means we either were much better than the scoreboard implied and were very unlucky or were not as good as we looked and got lucky. I don't know the answer to that one, but we had some systemic problems that we failed to adjust on (defense couldn't adjust in pass game, offensive playcalling was bad).

I think saying we're a flawed socon champ and that 80% of the time the players performed in spite of the coaching strategy/play calling is completely accurate.

If you want me to get more specific: I can grant that player mistakes (namely untimely fumbles) made the GWU, Samford, and first Furman game closer than they should have been (and with GWU we were one or two pass break ups from breaking it open). I'm kind of indifferent to the performance against PC and VMI because I feel like those teams are such outliers the only thing that's consistent about them is that they lose, somehow and some way.

Western Carolina (who had a bad defense), Furman part 2 (which had a vulnerable defense and probably overconfidence) and maybe the Citadel game were the only games I think were good performances.

Against Samford, ETSU, and NDSU, our defense couldn't get off the field, and their style of offenses are basically the spectrum in terms of run/pass. I remember being continuously frustrated with the offensive playcalling against Mercer, ETSU, and Chattanooga. The latter two of which, we should have beaten them by so much more than we did and the fact that we didn't speaks to the flawed nature of the team I'm describing.

Put simply, we weren't consistent enough on any side of the ball like you would expect out of any socon champion. Furman was right to think we were flawed going into our second game and NDSU exposed as for what we were. All of this I think is fixable, whether it be by mixing it up at practice (I'll admit I don't know much here) or having a more coherent/less predictable strategy.

And if you think I'm wrong, that's cool, but I hypothesize that you could look at past socon champions, average their margin of victory or look for variance in their margin of victory given the strength of the competition (i.e. what place the competition finished in the conference) and 2017 Wofford would be much lower than most socon champs, especially lone-at-the-top socon champs.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:56 pm

While it is hard to argue with the stats and what can be done with the statistics; the interesting fact is that Wofford has had a fantastic record of winning over the Ayers years. Without knowing the stats, I would guess that we have won a lot of close games. Whether we have won the games against teams that were better, or presumed better would be interesting. Time and again we have seen our guys grind it out and finish after wearing down our opponents. Sure, we would love to be dominant, but that just seems unlikely given the situation with Wofford vs the larger schools.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:19 pm

So reviewing our record from 2010-2016, in 7 point games, we had a record of 15-14. This speaks to the random nature of close games. Last year, we had a notable number of close games and were 7-1 in 7 point games, an unsustainably high winning percentage in those close games. That level of success reminds me of the 2015 Carolina Panthers who went 15-1 and were 6-1 in 7 point games. That winning percentage was also unsustainable as the Panthers went 6-10 the following year. While I don't expect quite that drop off for us, I wouldn't be surprised for us to take a step back and finish with 8-9 wins and get to 2nd in SoCon play.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football