NDSU vs WOFFORD Lets get it on!!!

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: NDSU vs WOFFORD Lets get it on!!!

Postby Eric Deutsch on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 am

Ruckus wrote:Let ‘em come South and try 2 a days in 100 degree heat and humidity.
We know a little about toughness too.

As the old saying in training camp went...."at least it's not 5 degrees hotter."

If there's one thing I truly don't miss about Spartanburg, it's definitely the summer.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:35 am

Stopping the run is going to be just as important as it was against Furman.

If you look at this NDSU team, the statistics are pretty much the same as they were in 2012. It's actually kind of crazy. The one difference is that they run for about 60 more yards per game than they did last time.

Meanwhile, their quarterback has only thrown the ball more than 25 times 4 times in his career. In those games in which he did so, they either lost or they won by about a touchdown. He's only thrown more than 30 once, and that was the loss against JMU. His completion percentage stays about the same as it is normally when he's asked to pass more

Stick appears to be an average QB when it comes to completion percentage, but an ample runner. He's kind of like Alabama QBs who just need to manage the game (for any NDSU fan reading this, it's not a knock, it's just what the stats imply).

Meanwhile, all but one or two opponents (Furman the first time had 24, Citadel had 14) Wofford has faced this year have thrown the ball 25+ times. So we're habituated to being passed on more. If NDSU sticks their normal game plan, I think that benefits us but I think we'll see 25-30 passes out of Stick.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:56 am

I remember Youngstown thinking this Southern Wofford Team would freeze in the Ice Castle last season....then we came out and hit em right in the mouth off the bat, and jumped right on them. And locked and loaded with them all game long. Toughness isn't a concern of this group. We aren't going to be confused with someone's finesse team. Everything we do is tough man football. No frills, no gimmicks. Starts at the head man....you won't find too many tougher in fact. We can be beaten, but it will absolutely not be out of lack of toughness.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 am

Our history has been that we play pretty well in the cold (at Montana, at Youngstown State, etc). Maybe we should schedule a home opener against NDSU or Montana or YSU in late August in Spartanburg! Then we can grind and grind and grind for three quarters and see how the opposition does in that fourth quarter! The advantage in the barn is the noise factor and playing on a plastic turf known well to the home team.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Rugged Wofford thinks it can hang with battle-tested Bison

(AP Photo/Sean Rayford)
By BRETT HUSTON
STATS Senior Editor

(STATS) - One could imagine simply making it to the FCS quarterfinals is barely enough to elicit a yawn from North Dakota State at this point, as the final eight is old hat to a program that's in its eighth straight year of making it this far.
Wofford has been here before, too. In at least one way, quite literally.
The second-seeded Bison try to keep things rolling Saturday as they host the seventh-seeded Terriers, with both teams envisioning a ball-control battle in the trenches much like the one they played in this round five years earlier at the Fargodome.
A quarterfinal meeting in 2012 would seem to have little bearing for most college football teams who have turned their programs over completely since then, but in the case of North Dakota State (11-1) and Wofford (10-2), not a whole lot has changed.
"They're an exceptional football team. Very similar to what we played in 2012," Bison coach Chris Klieman said. "I think they have the ability to throw it a bit more depending on how the game is going. But overall, it's very similar as far as what they want to do, which is run the football."
That's what they've done more than any FCS program besides Cal Poly and The Citadel over the past six years. However, that version of the Terriers threw it just 88 times in 13 games, seven of which came in their last one, a 14-7 loss that served as one of the Bison's toughest tests on the way to their second of what would be five straight national titles.
This Wofford team has thrown it 144 times, but what stands out most to Klieman is the separation the Terriers can create on offense.
"I think they're faster this year than they were in 2012," he said. "They have so much more speed."
Wofford had one pass play longer than 38 yards all season five years ago, but it has four that have gone for at least 48 yards in 2017 and quarterback Brandon Goodson has hit some other big gainers as well. One came with the first half winding down in last week's round of 16 matchup with Furman, as Goodson found Blake Morgan for a 33-yard strike that put the Terriers ahead to stay in a 28-10 win.
But Wofford, a surprise quarterfinalist last season before bowing out to Youngstown State, isn't going to waltz into Fargo and surprise the Bison by throwing it 25 times. To keep it close - and the Terriers are 20-point underdogs - they'll have to grind it out on the ground against a run defense that's eighth in the FCS, allowing just 2.8 yards per carry.
"You know it's coming, but you don't know where it's going," Klieman said of Wofford's triple-option attack. "Option football's all about having great eye control, great discipline, assignment sound football. You have to have every phase covered.
"I think both teams know if you can hold the ball for 35-plus minutes you're going to have a great opportunity to be successful."
Wofford's defense will have its hands full with a Bison offense that wants to control the ground game as well behind quarterback Easton Stick and running back Bruce Anderson. Only Alcorn State averaged more yards per carry than North Dakota State (6.0).
The Terriers, though, have allowed just 1.87 yards per tote in their last five games against FCS opponents.
"I think we've got a good matchup (against NDSU's offense)," Wofford coach Mike Ayers said. "I think we can match up with them all across the board. The advantage they have is when they're trying to call plays, it's dead silent. When we try to call plays, there's 18,891 people screaming and it makes it difficult."
For the Bison, the pain is in the preparation of simulating the option in practice with such a quick turnaround.
"You're doing this all in essentially 2 1/2 days of practice," Klieman said. "You can think you have everything fit up well, but then all of a sudden it comes 10 times faster on Saturday because they're a lot faster than our scout team guys.
"I've been a part of games against option football where in the first quarter you feel like 'boy, you're never gonna stop them.'"
NDSU won't panic if it falls behind. The Bison had been outscored 41-30 in the opening 15 minutes of their final six regular-season games prior to last week's 38-3 rout of San Diego, and they outscored their opponents 141-63 the rest of the way.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Teams take on the culture and personality of its coaches. While there are many aspects of MA’s eventual retirement which keep me up at night, this is probably the biggest one: the toughness he embodies and demands from his team. Lots of stories can be told about MA and this culture but it is an unmistakable element of who we are as a team and program. We need to maintain this identity. Lots of teams don’t have it and it gives us an intangible edge. Clay Hendrix has brought it back to FU; Tenn is hiring a relative unknown guy because they think he has that quality.
We got it in spades. Fight the damn fight....
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:36 pm

Great article 19T, thanks.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 pm

A simulation of the game. I do not take this seriously at all. Or are these simulation games actually based on statistics that can accurately predict the outcome ? Does anybody know ? I have no idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cak_pb8MVoo

I don't think it can be accurate because if you look at the names of players that are supposed to be Terriers, the names are not of any current Terrier players. Plus it is only a simulation. It is not real. How can it be accurate ?
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:13 pm

Ruckus wrote:Fight the damn fight....

Never back up. Never back down.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eric Deutsch on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 pm

Retiredterrier wrote:A simulation of the game. I do not take this seriously at all. Or are these simulation games actually based on statistics that can accurately predict the outcome ? Does anybody know ? I have no idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cak_pb8MVoo

I don't think it can be accurate because if you look at the names of players that are supposed to be Terriers, the names are not of any current Terrier players. Plus it is only a simulation. It is not real. How can it be accurate ?

If we throw the ball 33 times, I'll eat my hat.
Eric Deutsch
Junior Terrier

Postby dungeonjoe on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:33 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:

"We're not going to lay down, get down, or be put down..."
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Lakesbison on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 am

boulder NDSU beat defending BIG 12 champion Kansas State in 103 HEAT!!! not scared about heat.. it's gonna be 17 outside by 72 in Fargodome...

good write up above. 6am bloody Mary's will taste good.
Lakesbison
Junior Terrier

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:50 am

I love this team....what a special group......
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:52 am

Lakesbison wrote:boulder NDSU beat defending BIG 12 champion Kansas State in 103 HEAT!!! not scared about heat.. it's gonna be 17 outside by 72 in Fargodome...

Good point. I've never been to North Dakota, but I have been to South Dakota in the summer and it gets plenty hot there. I imagine the NDSU players would deal with the heat just fine. I think it'd be the cramps from the humidity they'd be more worried about. Either way, it will be a balmy 72 inside the Fargodome at game time.
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:54 am

dungeonjoe wrote:
Eyes of Old Main wrote:

"We're not going to lay down, get down, or be put down..."

That was a pregame speech for the ages. I would expect something like that again tomorrow morning and I'm hoping for some hambone tomorrow afternoon.
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football