Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

THE CHECKLIST......(FOOTBALL) *CHAMPIONS*

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 pm

SEASON CHECKLIST

1. BEAT FURMAN CHECK
2. WIN SOCON CROWN CHECK
3. HOST PLAYOFF GAME CHECK
4. MAKE IT TO FRISCO
5. WIN THE WHOLE DAMN THING (NATIONAL TITLE)

And every one of my posts will have *CHAMPIONS* as a part of it from now on.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: THE CHECKLIST......(FOOTBALL) *CHAMPIONS*

Postby drpnut on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:35 pm

What are the keys to us winning the Natty?
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:39 pm

Having gotten a bye and home game are huge. Minimize turnovers. Be and stay healthy. Be able to throw it and utilize the occasional surprise, as necessary. Continue to play great defense. Get a good draw, preferably avoiding a great passing team, at least until later on.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:40 pm

1) Home games for as long as we can (which will require an upset or 2)
2) an upset or 2 of better teams
3) luck
4) stay healthy
5) raise the level of our execution to a level higher than we have seen this season thus far
6) draw good match ups
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:43 pm

1) Home games for as long as we can (which will require an upset or 2)
2) an upset or 2 of better teams
3) luck
4) stay healthy
5) raise the level of our execution to a level higher than we have seen this season thus far
6) draw good match ups

BINGO!~!!!!!!!

*SOCON CHAMPS*
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 pm

At this point, all the teams remaining will be great teams that execute at a high level. Honestly, South Carolina may be the weakest team we play from here on out from a discipline standpoint although their talent and depth will cover that. No matter who Wofford draws the games will be tight, but this team is built for an relishes that. It's a "one game at a time" season from here on and for us to get to Frisco it is going to take absolutely controlling that which we can control, catching a few lucky breaks and probably going on the road and shocking the world.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 am

Although not on the checklist, we now have winning all-time records against PC and VMI.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 am

by Eyes of Old Main on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 pm
At this point, all the teams remaining will be great teams that execute at a high level. Honestly, South Carolina may be the weakest team we play from here on out from a discipline standpoint although their talent and depth will cover that. No matter who Wofford draws the games will be tight, but this team is built for an relishes that. It's a "one game at a time" season from here on and for us to get to Frisco it is going to take absolutely controlling that which we can control, catching a few lucky breaks and probably going on the road and shocking the world.

My type of odds......The irony in all of this is.....what team is better prepared for close, Tight contests that can come
Down to 1 possession..........I’d like to think that our boys can thrive in this Playoff environment where the stakes are high and every play counts. I feel like we will shine the brightest and have been prepared by this season.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:56 am

When you look at the stats, games shouldn't be that close. Furman's stats are slightly better in some categories on offense, but not on defense, and they are blowing teams out worse. What's the deal?

We're both in the top 10 in the country in third down conversions. We've turned the ball over 8 times in 10 games (including none in the last 3) which is better than Furman. Nationally, we rank in the top 15 in total and rush defense (which is better than Furman, and pretty impressive considering 3 of the nation's top run teams are on our schedule).

Some would say that our problems are penalties and execution, but I have a problem with that assessment. We're the 24th least penalized team in the country in terms of yardage, and 18th in terms of penalties called. So if penalties were our weakness, we would see it in our national rankings (Furman is one of the best in the country in terms of not being penalized FWIW). If it were execution, we wouldn't have such an ungodly third down conversion percentage.

Having a viable intermediate pass game has helped our third down conversion rate, but it hasn't manifested in scores yet. I've harped on playcalling, particularly on second downs, and I know I sound like a broken record, but I can only find that as an explanation. If it's not second down playcalling, it's our ability to run the option fast enough.

Defensively, I think our biggest problem is third down defense. We are terrible this year at getting teams off the field on third down and it's what's keeping our offense off the field and scores low and close.

So, if I would want us to improve on three areas, it would be 1) Third down defense (biggest priority) 2) second down playcalling and 3) executing on offense in the fourth quarter. For #3 we seem to only do well when we are down a score (with the exception of Samford), but when we are up a score we aren't as successful. It's the difference between games being close and in control (ETSU, Gardner Webb, Chattanooga)
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:33 am

Completely agree that 3rd down Defense is HUGE. And our biggest challenge / area of opportunity to improve. That has been a true hindrance to our complete domination of our schedule to date. Get off the field more times, limits scoring and puts the ball back in our hands to score more.

Also, in regards to playcalling.......as has been the case as long as I have been a Wofford fan. Our placalling with the lead is very very conservative. And called more to drain the clock, then to purely put teams away. And while we are a very efficient passing team, we still do not commit to the passing offense. It is still used sporadically. Hence our lack of scoring. We NEVER pass the ball inside the 30 yard line.....ever. And often times we have the same favorable matchups that we have in the middle of the field, but our conservative nature lends to grinding out a drive and often times leads to a field goal opportuniTy. It feels like an internal battle of knowing how effective we can be passing the ball but that takes away from the core of what we like to do, which is to run the ball, drain the clock, limit the opponents touches on the ball, and win with defense and clock management offense.

Now on the opposite side of things.....when we are down, we are at our best IMO. We play with urgency, we attack the perimeter along with our inside run game. It’s far more creative and designed to move quickly. I wish we called more of the game this way.......but that’s not how we operate.

I love that we are not turning the ball over. That will win / lose games in the playoffs. If we can continue to win the turnover game, continue shutting teams run game down, and find a way to get off the field on 3rd down a little better, we are a tough out for every team in The playoffs. Every team.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 am

And Mikel Horton getting on the field I think means the world to us defensively. He is the disruptive force on the interior. If we can get him back for the playoffs would be HUGE!!!
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Been off the board for a bit dealing with FEMA here in the heart of Gator Nation. Finally, a big "Uh Rah" to those guys for getting the swamp cleared out, Thank you!

Now to the current matter: IMO WOF is in a sweet spot right now (7th seed according to the local fish wrap) just behind NCA&T and ahead of Weber St. Not likely to change much.
Don't know if a by week is a good thing, a bad thing, or means nothing. It does give them the opportunity to polish the things they do best. The keys are penalties, turn overs, and time management. There are going to be penalties; just try to not make game altering ones. Turn overs are the biggies against good teams. Coaching staff must, simply must, stay on top of the clock all game long. Every Terrier player on the field has gotta dig down deep every second of every play and do their best. Me thinks this mob can go deep into the playoffs this time......congratulations champs..........go Terriers!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Mudrat- Did you know the head of FEMA is an Appie?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football